Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum’s three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace. Unum Ireland based in Carlow is a strategic software development and services centre for Unum, specialising in the creation of innovative and customer centric software solutions. Our culture embraces a continuous improvement philosophy that permeates everything we do, from meeting the needs of our customers quickly and efficiently to developing the skills and expertise of our employees. Using leading-edge technology and information systems, Unum Ireland offers excellent career opportunities in IT.
Software Engineer is responsible for the building and/or configuration of software solutions within their business portfolio. They ensure software is delivered to high quality standards by collaborating with their agile team members and by leveraging unit testing and continuous integration. They participate in the estimation of work required to deliver software features.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing features for the existing portfolio of applications for a business area
• Responsible for communication and collaboration with key stakeholders in the delivery of features
• Design, codes, configures, unit tests, maintains, and documents software deliverables using agreed upon standards and tools. Participates in sizing and estimation activities within the agile team
• Communicates daily with the Scrum Master or Team Lead and the Agile team on progress made and planned progress for the coming day and reports any impediments that are blocking their progress
• Participates in code reviews and sprint retrospectives; ensuring their ideas for team continuous improvement are communicated so that the overall process and team can improve sprint by sprint and readily receives feedback for self-improvement. May lead parts of same.
• Focuses on delivering business priority and value at all times
• Responsible for ensuring the quality of existing and new features through both manual and automated testing and use of continuous integration techniques, where practical
• Demonstrates an interest in software architectures and seeks to design solutions in alignment with Company stated architecture and standards
• Participate in Proof Of Concept work and prototyping when necessary
• Collaborates with Business Analysts to confirm understanding of business requirements relating to features to be delivered and to help the Business Analyst define requirements that can be delivered from a technical perspective
• Collaborates with User Experience (UX) designers to ensure designs produced can be translated efficiently into working solutions for feature delivery
• Collaborates with the agile team to establish the definition of done for each of the stages of production within the team
• Collaborate with Test Engineers and Senior Test Engineers to ensure that software meets the definition of done; ensuring successful transition of work to the next stage of production during the sprints
• Ensures an innovation culture in the team by continuous improvement of deliveries and participates in evaluating new processes and technologies that can be applied to future feature delivery
• Collaborates with Technical Support Engineers to transition software features to a production environment ensuring that the deliveries meet application performance criteria, release standards; and ensures application and system stability.
• Automates testing of software to industry standards of software automation ensuring very high quality application/solution delivery and efficient regression of existing features
• Ensures that the latest project progress is known to the agile team by ensuring Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools are up to date and participating in daily standups outlining progress made, progress planned and detailing impediments
• Thinks with the mind of the end customer at all times, ensuring solutions seek to improve the customer experience and delight their customers.
• Bachelors Degree in Computer Science is preferred, or equivalent relevant business experience
• 2+ years experience of Mobile development, Xamarin.Forms, Xamarin.Native, XAML an advantage
• 2+ years’ experience with Microsoft technologies such as C#, .Net, and ASP.Net MVC and MVVM.
• Experience with consuming and understanding of web services and REST APIs.
• Ability to collaborate with our UX/UI team, be part of the design discussions/decisions and ensure designs are reproduced faithfully across platforms
• Experience of cross platform development for both Android and iOS, using Xamarin.Forms.
• Experience with mobile-specific functionality, such as location and push notifications.
• Ability to write Unit Tests & UI Tests for Xamarin Test Cloud.
• Experience with MongoDB an advantage
• Shows evidence of analytical ability
• Takes a logical, analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
• Knowledge of Agile Development Methodologies
• Self motivated and results oriented
• Takes an innovative approach to problem solving
• Demonstrates strong focus on quality delivery and delighting customers; holds self to high standards of delivery
• Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
• Strong team player; able to work effectively within a team and more broadly with people from a variety of backgrounds and areas across the organization.
Unum and its family of businesses offer competitive pay and an excellent benefits package, world-class training and development, and a culture built on employee ideas. Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to person’s race, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, family status, membership of the travelling community, gender or sexual orientation. Come join us if you’re interested in working in an exciting and challenging environment for a company that is on the move!