Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum’s three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace. Unum Ireland based in Carlow is a strategic software development and services centre for Unum, specialising in the creation of innovative and customer centric software solutions. Our culture embraces a continuous improvement philosophy that permeates everything we do, from meeting the needs of our customers quickly and efficiently to developing the skills and expertise of our employees. Using leading-edge technology and information systems, Unum Ireland offers excellent career opportunities in IT.
DevOps is becoming a big word here at Unum, and Unum Ireland holds the reputation to deliver!
The DevOps Engineer II is a key member of the Engineering Excellence team. They work with delivery teams and their respective leaders to ensure DevOps practices are understood and measured, and DevOps tools are being used optimally. They participate in the design, development and delivery of DevOps solutions within their business portfolio in conjunction with the Engineering Excellence team.
– Do you understand DevOps holistically, beyond tooling and automation?
– Would you enjoy the challenge of scaling DevOps enterprise wide?
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Influential member of team, involved with setting direction and delivering
- Mentoring of junior DevOps engineers within Engineering Excellence team as well as Delivery Teams
- Participate in design, development and delivery of DevOps practices and solutions, enterprise wide
- Define and build delivery pipelines to spec
- Supports delivery teams in identifying and improving their SDLC practices and mastering their use of our suite of SDLC tools
- Keep our tools sharp through upgrades, configurations, installations, integrations, troubleshooting and user management
- Ensures that solutions delivered are secure and scalable, and comply with defined standards and best practices
- Participates actively in an Agile team with Agile ceremonies and an Agile mindset
- Thinks with the mind of the end customer at all times, ensuring solutions seek to improve the customer experience and delight their customers
- Bachelor of Computer Science is preferred or equivalent industry experience
- 8+ years IT experience with 4+ years in leading or driving DevOps practices essential
- Broad knowledge of DevOps concepts and practices
- Industry Certifications desirable
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills; experience leading groups of people through discussions, technical or otherwise
- Experience with tools and scripting languages; such as Jenkins, Azure DevOps, Git, SonarQube, Octopus Deploy, Selenium, Artifactory, Ansible, Powershell and Python
- Preferred experience with modern technologies such as virtualization, containerization and cloud
- Exposure with helping delivery teams to adopt DevOps practices and tools to bring measured improvement in software engineering
- Exposure to Dev, Sec and Ops
- Knowledge of RDBMS
- Skilled in Agile development/methodologies
- Analytically minded, critical thinker, positive and motivated with a willingness to drive technical discussions
- Passionate about delivering solutions that excite and delight our customers; holds self to high standards of delivery
- Focused on continuous improvement: training and certification
- Demonstrates a driven attitude, working hard to successfully deliver projects on time & budget
- Demonstrates being proactive and adjusts to changing pressures and demands to help the team where it’s needed most
Unum and its family of businesses offer competitive pay and an excellent benefits package, world-class training and development, and a culture built on employee ideas. Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to person’s race, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, family status, membership of the travelling community, gender or sexual orientation. Come join us if you’re interested in working in an exciting and challenging environment for a company that is on the move!